Red, white, yellow, Vidalia, shallots... Any onion works for this deliciously simple pickled onion recipe. Add to lox & cream cheese on a bagel, avocado toast, pulled pork, salads, or any sandwich for a slightly sweet punch of flavor!
Maple Balsamic Pickled Onions Ingredients
1 cup water
1 whole, large onion
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, such as:
- Kouzini Fig Balsamic from our Epicurean Kit (shipping now for subscribers)
- Sparrow Lane 15 Year Aged Balsamic from our Pairings Collection
- California Dark Balsamic Vinegar from our Gourmand Kit
1 Tbsp maple syrup, such as:
- Tree Juice Bourbon Maple Syrup from our Terra Kit
1 tsp sea salt
Maple Balsamic Pickled Onions Instructions
- Slice the onion evenly and thinly (1/8-1/16"). Use a mandoline if you have one available.
- Stir together liquid ingredients in a small pot, then bring to a boil.
- Add onions and boil for two minutes, then transfer to a small, heat safe bowl.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a tight-fitting lid, and allow to come to room temperature.
- Refrigerate and enjoy for up to a week!